This blog started with small daily paintings then changed to a more personal sharing of projects, events and photos. Enjoy!

Monday, April 22, 2013

Ponderings About my Garden Net

My small garden area is now completely surrounded in this black plastic net.  Thinking I solved the problem, I then transplanted a few volunteers into some more above ground containers and put them in this netted space.  Next day: a few more leaves chewed on the edges!  Did I just block off the birds that were eating the bugs?  Did I spend two days wrangling with this net only to make things worse?

Turns out I'm right about the sparrows--they will eat the greens and this little garden sits right on the edge of a wild area of chaparral--they can easily flit from the brush to this garden--and they have!!  Now I'm wondering if I'll have a bug problem since I've eliminated all the birds!

I just took the milk jug off this lettuce plant--it's my sacrificial plant--time will tell...

No comments: