The student's made stamps and will use them in their next art lesson (for my granddaughter's third grade class). I'll be posting about that soon. We used thin foam sheets from the $ store, cut up and glued on foam core--I hot glued the cork handles.
For this three day art class the fourth through sixth graders made a face with modeling clay--they put on four or five layers of white tissue, (painted on with wheat paste). The final layer was using color tissue.
For the second lesson, they took out the modeling clay and added to their features using bread clay. They also bent a length of reed into a circle to fit around their face.
Today, the final day, the students put their hangings together using thin telephone wire and found materials.
I decided to teach a small sculpture project for my granddaughter's third grade class. I made up a sort of kit for each student--we all started out the same, but these animals will all be different.
The student's twisted the newspaper, knotted a head, threaded it through the tube and taped it to form the head, neck and tail--lots of masking tape is needed.
These are taped together and ready for the paper mache.
Today was paper mache day! This step was a bit tough for the students. They put on a layer of newspaper and then the last layer of white tissue paper--(the tissue goes on dry and is painted on with a brush dipped in wheat paste). The last step was to form ears with a few strips of plaster gauze.
I did stay later to touch up the ones that were threatening to fall apart--most of these will be able to stand on their own. Next week, we paint and add details--I'm curious to see how they'll come out.