This blog started with small daily paintings then changed to a more personal sharing of projects, events and photos. Enjoy!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Birthday Salad



My granddaughter and I made a birthday salad lunch for her mom, and a kind of sculpture. I was told where and how to attach the rocks and stick, but I had to clamp it and pour on
gorilla glue. It was kind of fun to try to glue rocks together with that foaming glue.

This little project so reminded me of teaching arts and crafts to kids. I'd often be confronted with a seemingly impossible construction--I'd scratch my head, they'd scratch theirs and we'd jimmy rig the thing together as best we could.

It worked! the rock and glue base dried in an ooze of foam and stayed together after removing the clamp. I did have to pry it off the cement.

7 comments:

michaela said...

hmmmm salad--how could i guess. Looks nice and healthy unless that's all that person ever eats.

Susan Beauchemin said...

Hi Michaela, we had some soup and bread with the salad too. It was a pretty healthy lunch!

martha miller said...

Pretty! And a cool sculpture to boot! xox

Unknown said...

So cute! You have not only an art director in the making but a site supervisor too!

Susan Beauchemin said...

Hi Martha and Sheila! Kind of a funny sculpture with an ugly base, and yes, she can supervise!

Dean Grey said...

Susan!

What a strange sculpture!

Salad....for one's birthday?!?! Bah! I want cake!

I just adore the artwork in the background of the first picture, especially the one of the horse surrounded by a block of neon green!

-Dean

Susan Beauchemin said...

That's my granddaughter's artwork from kindergarten!