This blog started with small daily paintings then changed to a more personal sharing of projects, events and photos. Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Morro Rock, and Pelican


I went out to a point that looks back on Morro Bay. There were many dug out Indian bowls in the surrounding rocks. This poor pelican must have died during the night--the vultures and even the bugs hadn't found it yet--it was freshly dead. I posted these two together because I painted the landscape that I saw just above the pelican, so they do go together one on top of the other. Many, many artists have painted and photographed Morro rock, well...here's another! I couldn't finish these yesterday. The wind came up almost as soon as I got out there, so it was cold--I packed it up and finished them today. Check out these two blogs I found, both are very informative about artist's techniques, with information about other artists and both are fun to read, Maggie Stiefvater, and James Gurney. I've linked them onto my blog

Morro Rock, Watercolor 7"x 7"
$120 matted / $160 matted & framed


For international or expedited shipping, please contact me prior to purchase.

Pelican, Watercolor 7"x 7"
$120 matted / $160 matted & framed

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue

Great painting of the rock! I love the bold quality of the foreground, juxtaposed with the softer background. This painting is a cross between a John Marin and a Rockwell Kent, two artists who worked and lived here in the State "o" Maine. If you are unfamiliar with their work, I strongly encourage you to look them up!

Keep up the wonderful work!!!

xo
Martha

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Sue, thanks for the link! I popped on over here and I'm really impressed with your gorgeous use of color. That self portrait (ahhhhh! so nice!!!) . . . really wonderful!

Susan Beauchemin said...

Thanks for the picture of their works, Martha, and thanks for popping in Maggie.--------Sue