This blog started with small daily paintings then changed to a more personal sharing of projects, events and photos. Enjoy!

Saturday, May 30, 2015

A Table for my Table

I've made a table for my table---YAY!  My back thanks me.  This raises my kitchen table/counter up almost 7 inches.  I've wanted to do this for such a long time.  I used some old wood, a thick piece of plywood for the top and a length of 4x4 for the legs.  The top I could cut with a skill saw, but the 4x4 was too thick for the skill saw, so I had to cut each leg with a hand saw--this took some sweat and time---the ends of the legs didn't come out super straight edged, but good enough that it doesn't wiggle!  The plywood was weathered and old, so I sanded it all--again by hand.  I attached each leg with 4 long wood screws, then used some left over paint I found in our garage.  This took me from morning till about 5pm, when the table was dry and ready to be put in place.   This project reminds me of a saying my grandmother used to say, "Where there's a will, there's a way", because this was not an easy task to pull off.  I kept thinking anybody who was used to working with wood, would have this put together and done within an hour, but I enjoyed doing this in my own slow calculating way.

This is an old table--the leaf that swings up and is held by the front table leg is bowed, so things tend to roll around, but this is a much improved space made with supplies I had on hand.

No comments: