This blog started with small daily paintings then changed to a more personal sharing of projects, events and photos. Enjoy!

Thursday, November 12, 2009

T-shirt yarn and weaving nodp


I love T-shirt yarn. You make it by cutting up unwanted T-shirts into a continuous strip after taking off the bottom edge. Then stretching the strip so the cut edges curl in--simple. I've used this yarn when teaching kids how to use a knitting knotty.
I've been experimenting weaving with this T-shirt yarn--wish I could say I'm making something more interesting than pot holders, but I was very discouraged to buy this pot holder loom for my grandchild and use the loops that came with the loom, only to find out you can't actually use the pot holders! It says in the instructions not to use near heat or open flame!! The loops are synthetic, yuk! so are very flammable---how silly is that?
This cotton T-shirt yarn works better for pot holders. I'm trying this out, so I can put my granddaughter to work on making usable pot holders!
Today's revisited painting is, 'Hair Stick II'

8 comments:

martha miller said...

coool!

Katie said...

I've got lots of t-shirts that have that awful hole at the bottom (near the button from your jean), that would work great for this. I bet the boys would have fun with this.

Carolina said...

T-shirt yarn, that's amazing!

Dean Grey said...

Susan!

I like the color combinations you're using. Pink, orange, and black look great together!

-Dean

Sonia said...

Another tip for the T-shirt yarn - I've used it to make some very serviceable hooked rugs. The rugs take me a long time to make so I was just about to throw out all my saved T-shirts, now you've inspired me to have a go at a more manageable project. Not sure what yet ....

Sonia

Susan Beauchemin said...

Hi All--thanks for your comments--I learned about T-shirt yarn from a very cool childrens craft book, 'Trash Artists Workshop', by Linda Allison. Try it out Katie! and Sonia, a rug! Good idea! Dean those colors were chosen specifically for someone who likes those colors.

Crazy RAvens Studio said...

I am loving this blog..so creative. I made pot holders when I was a kid. We used the loops that came with it, they lasted forever and fortunately, we never set ourselves on fire. My official painting uniform is t-shirts and sweatpants, not fashionable but comfortable. Now, instead of just throwing out my paint stained tees, they may have an even longer life!

Susan Beauchemin said...

Welcome Paula, good idea with the paint stained T's