This blog started with small daily paintings then changed to a more personal sharing of projects, events and photos. Enjoy!

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Final Art Class of the School Year

We had out last day of art--my granddaughter came up with a great idea of having a scavenger art hunt--a list of things to draw, glue or print using their stamps, and these letter stamps  (I made 7 sets, one for each table)!  Off to the side, we had the students, a few at a time, work on a gift for their teacher and their student teacher.  The scavenger hunt kept them fairly well occupied.  We had prizes, (art supplies)  for the student's who worked quietly.  I made more bread clay to pass out as a farewell gift to all the students.

I made the primary colors and used the same bag over and over, starting with yellow.  I'm really liking this home made air dry clay!!  I used 4 slices of white bread without the crusts, 2 teaspoons of white glue, 1 1/2 teasp. of water, 1 1/2 teasp. of acrylic paint, 2 teasp. of any lotion that has glycerin in it.  Crumble the bread and put everything in a sandwich size zip-lock bag.  Roll the bag to push out the air and zip-lock.  Knead the bag until the mixture holds together.

Turn it out on a floured table (white flour).  Knead, add a dab more lotion and finish kneading using baby powder.


Wrap tightly with plastic wrap--should stay good in the refrigerator for a few weeks, maybe more!

I divvied the clay up into 27 little bags--enough to play with, mix colors, and perhaps make beads or little creatures.  There was a lot of prep for this last class.  I meant to take pictures of the class in action, but I never had the time.  I'll post about the teacher's gifts next--I don't want to give the surprise away by posting too soon.   (hint: They did use their stamps in the making of the gifts)

No comments: