This blog started with small daily paintings then changed to a more personal sharing of projects, events and photos. Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My Mother's Profile

I remember, as kids, we'd go to the fair where a silhouette artist would cut out people's profiles all day long.  They didn't use the trick of projecting their shadow to make it easier, no, they maneuvered the thick black paper all around, twisted the scissors in and out then presto--a perfect silhouette!--no drawing--no cheating--they pulled it right out of thin air!  I could have sat and watched that all day!  (I also loved to watch the close up of Captain Kangaroo's hands when he was cutting paper for his show's daily art project!) These were things that could put me in a trance....................I found this little silhouette of my mom that I had cut way back when I was still in high school or soon after.  I had used a very ugly yellow construction paper--probably didn't have any black paper on hand, so I photo shopped it to be a bit darker--my mom must have been in her early 50's.  It turned out to be a pretty good likeness!

 

2 comments: