This blog started with small daily paintings then changed to a more personal sharing of projects, events and photos. Enjoy!

Monday, July 21, 2008

Plaster Sculpture II

Back when I taught art, we made small sculptures. I mixed up a slew of plaster and perlite and filled paper cups. The kids were given an old butter knife and a large nail. This is a the sculpture I made at home, experimenting before I solidified the lesson. I used a sharper, pointier knife for this one. The preparation that went into that lesson was a bit much considering having to make a plaster form for students K through 6 in two or three schools--hundreds of plaster forms! I remember having to make them in my garage on a winter stormy day with winds blowing strong. It was cold, wet and plaster was slow to set--it was a miserable day of prep--I remember it well! The lesson itself was a good one. I was given the idea from another art teacher. The children loved grinding away on their sculptures and drilling holes. The following week we painted them with watercolors--painting on plaster is great--the color is so bright and vibrant. I had to have extra plaster cups for the children who ground their first one down to dust.
Watercolor 7"x 7"
$80 matted / $120 matted & framed


For international or expedited shipping, please contact me prior to purchase.

7 comments:

StilinStudio said...

I love it! It makes me chuckle at myself, because I have the hardest time figuring out what to paint. You pick the most unusual subjects, study them to pieces, making even something people might overlook seem incredibly interesting and beautiful to boot!

Molly Mansfield said...

Great range of value in this. I love the shapes of the bright highlights.

Susan Beauchemin said...

Thank you linda, I also have a hard time figuring out what to paint!



Hi Molly, thanks for the comment, please come back again!

martha miller said...

love the rainbow hues!

aren't you glad that you are not having to prep for art classes any more??

Susan Beauchemin said...

YES! I don't miss that huge amount of time I had to spend getting ready, but I learned how to prepare for my own art!

laura said...

The light and colors are just beautiful--I could look at this for hours! Just goes to show, it's not what you paint, but how you paint!

Susan Beauchemin said...

Hi Laura,
Thanks for viewing my blog! Your watercolors are beautiful!